Make your own detachable collar to accessorise any outfit. This collar can be made with or without the frill depending on your preference, or why not make a few in different variations if you can't decide!
What you’ll need:
Collar pattern download here -
Print the pattern to 100% scale. Join the two pattern pieces together where it says, ‘join here’ and cut out.
2 pieces of fabric measuring 50 x 60cm
You may need less if you have non-directional fabric
112 x 10cm of fabric for the frill
You may wish to join fabrics together to reduce any waste
2 strips of fabric for ties measuring 30 x 5cm
1. Cut out two collar pieces of fabric on the fold using the pattern.
2. To make the ties, press the strip of fabric in half with wrong sides together. Open out and press the long sides to meet in the middle. Fold the long sides in half down the middle and press. Fold in the short ends by 2 inches to enclose the raw edges. Sew down the long edge of the strip.
Repeat with the second tie.
3. If you’ve cut 2 pieces for the frill, join them together at one of the short ends, right sides together. Fold the frill strip in half widthways with wrong sides together and press.
4. Sew 2 gathering stitches along the raw edges. To sew gathering stitches, set your machine stitch length to the longest setting (mine is 5) and sew. Leave a few inches of thread at either end.
5. To gather, put the bottom thread of both stitches at either side of the frill. Gather until the frill is the size of the outer edge of the collar.
6. Pin or clip the frill to the top of the collar facing inwards. Place the ties over the ends of the ruffle 1cm from the edge of the collar facing inwards. Sew in place.
7. Place the second collar piece right sides together to the top of the first collar piece, sandwiching the frill and ties in the middle.
8. Sew in place leaving a small turning gap of about 10cm in the back of the collar.
9. Turn right side out and hand sew the opening closed using a ladder stitch. Press the collar to finish.
If you have any of the gathering stitches visible, these can be unpicked at the end!